Monday 11 September 2017

Why is 'everybody' *always* focused on lack of stuff instead of alienation?

I don't get it. All Leftists - and nearly-all who self-identify as being on the Right - seem obsessed by materialism (economics and politics) and completely and utterly ignore what very-obviously-to-me seems to be The Problem: I mean alienation.

Alienation is a convenient term for the cut-offness of modern life, its perceived meaninglessness, its purposelessness; the nihilism and despair which is - or at least seems (very obviously) to me - to be everywhere and near-universal...

Very obviously (to me), it is not lack of stuff that is the main problem for modern people; but that it all adds-up to nothing - and nothing they do add-up to anything.

(Take a look at modern Western people - and compare their situation with people elsewhere and at any point in history - and you would not jump straight to the conclusion that we are being oppressed by lack of stuff.) 

Thoreau remarked that the mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation - He was right; but apparently Men nowadays are utterly unaware of the fact; or else assume that their quiet desperation is due to lack of stuff...


2 comments:

Michael Dyer said...

Because we've been more or less officially practical atheists since roughly 1917, if not earlier.

Bruce Charlton said...

@Michael - I think its more than that - Thoreau was an atheist, I was an atheist for most of my life; but I recognised 'alienation' was The problem from about age 14...

(However, solving did require becoming a Christian, and then some).